The City of San Pablo welcomes your business to our community and appreciates the opportunity to serve you. We wish you success!
There are many things you should consider when starting a business, it's good to be aware of the resources available to you as well as the regulations of local, county, state and federal government agencies.
Please use the resources below to complete your business license process or call (510) 215-3030. After you've completed the procedure below, visit the San Pablo Economic Development Corporation to help get your business off the ground!
- Any person who conducts business in the City or is based in the City must obtain a business license on or before the date the business commences. The first thing to do is to verify that the use you intend for your business is allowed in the Zoning District where your business is located. Questions? Call a Planner at (510) 215-3030.
- Bring your completed Business License Application, your business license fees, and all necessary licenses/permits (i.e. Seller's Permit, Alcohol License, Health Permit, etc.) to the Development Services Department (Building 3) at City Hall.
- All commercial businesses require an inspection of the building/unit by the Contra Costa Fire Protection District and City of San Pablo prior to issuance of a business license.
- If you plan to conduct your business out of your home, a Home Occupation Permit is required. Inspections are not required.
- After all paperwork and fees have been received, and inspections have been completed, staff at City Hall will issue you your business license.
- Business licenses are valid for one year. It is your responsibility to renew the business license on time even if the courtesy reminder notice is not received. Penalties are assessed for delinquent accounts, regardless of whether or not you receive a renewal notice. If you do not receive a notice two weeks prior to the expiration date, contact the city staff immediately.
- If you decide to change the location of your business, the new information must be supplied to the City of San Pablo.
- Business licenses are not automatically canceled. Please let us know if your business is closed by sending a written notification or give us a call.
Business License Brochure
Business License Application
Apartment Business License Application/Renewal Form
Credit Card Authorization Payment Form
Business License Fee/Tax Schedule
City of San Pablo, Development Svs. (510) 215-3030 13831 San Pablo Avenue, Bldg. 3 San Pablo, California 94806
PERMITS, LICENSES, AND OTHER AGENCY INFORMATION
Fictitious Business Name Statement
All business need to file a Fictitious Name Statement (also known as a "DBA" which is short for "Doing Business As") to ensure the name is suitable, that it's not already being used, and to legally disclose that the owner is doing business under another name (e.g., Joe Smith is starting a company called Acme Pizza). To file a DBA, contact the Contra Costa County Clerk's office.
Contractors' State License Board
Contra Costa County Clerk's Office (925) 335-7900 555 Escobar Street Martinez, California 94553
Many professions, such as auto mechanic, day care operator, etc., require certification. Check with the Contractors' State License Board to find out if you need a specialized license to work in your field.
Sales & Use Permit / Seller's Permit
Contractors' State License Board (800) 807-6755
If you sell tangible goods/property in California, you must apply for a Seller's Permit through the State Board of Equalization.
California State Board of Equalization (510) 622-4970 1515 Clay St., #303 Oakland, California 94612
Alcohol Beverage License
If you plan to sell alcoholic beverages from your business, apply for this license through the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.
Environmental Health Permit
Dept. of Alcohol Beverage Control (510) 622-4970 1515 Clay St., Suite 2208 Oakland, California 94612
A health permit is required for businesses that dispense food to the public. This permit is needed prior to opening or being issued a business license and is available through the County Health Department.
Contra Costa County Health Dept. (925) 646-5225 2120 Diamond Blvd, #200 Concord, California 94529
Fire Protection District
A fire inspection is often required at the business location. Please contact the County Fire District for more information.
State Income Tax / Corporate Income Tax
Contra Costa Fire Protection District (925) 930-5541 Devin Russell, Fire Inspector
Businesses in California are required to submit an annual tax statement to the Franchise Tax Board.
Franchise Tax Board (800) 852-5711 1970 Broadway Oakland, California 94612
Federal Income Tax
For information regarding employee withholdings, self-employment tax, sole proprietorships, partnerships and corporate taxes, contact the Internal Revenue Service.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (800) 829-1040
State legislation requires proof of valid current workers' comp certificate of insurance or self-insurance. This is not needed if you do not have any employees.
Dept. of Industrial Relations (510) 622-3026 1515 Clay St., 6th Floor Oakland, California 94612
If you hire employees, you must register with the State Employment Development Department within 15 days of employees' hire dates.
Employment Development Dept. (925) 977-8265 3478 Buskirk Avenue, #215 Pleasant Hill, California 94523-4694
Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies: