The San Pablo community dates back to the early 1800’s when the Castro Family received almost 20,000 acres in a Spanish land grant. It was the home of Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado, the first native-born governor of the State of California who had married one of the Castro daughters. The city was incorporated on April 27, 1948.
San Pablo has two museums: the Alvarado Adobe, a replica of the home of Governor Alvarado; and the Blume House, a large farmhouse built in 1905 and moved to its present location in 1979 when a shopping center was planned for its original location. A bunk house also was moved and is a part of the museum. We invite you visit the Blume House and the Alvarado Adobe museums in person. Both Museums are open the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month from 12(noon) - 4PM. Admissions is FREE!
The San Pablo Historical Society makes it possible for members of the community to learn about the city and how it evolved from its agrarian roots and its beginnings as a Rancho to a city called San Pablo.
The Society maintains an archive of historic photos and documents chronicling the history of San Pablo.