Childhood Obesity Prevention Advisory Group (COPAG)
CITY OF SAN PABLO ANNOUNCES FY 2020-21 CHILDHOOD OBESITY PREVENTION GRANT PROGRAM REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
On March 16, 2020, the San Pablo City Council approved grant criteria and program guidelines for the upcoming FY 2020-21 Childhood Obesity Prevention Grant Program for organizations who are interested in offering programs and services that are designed with the intention to increase the health and wellness of children in San Pablo and have a positive impact on the City’s continued efforts to decrease childhood obesity in the City.
Funding priority will be given to proposals that address the following areas:
- Increasing physical activity levels
- Increasing access to healthy foods and beverages and limiting access to unhealthy foods and beverages
- Changing messages about nutrition and physical activity, including limiting marketing of junk food to children
- Improving nutrition and physical activity in schools
- Providing programs and services with measurable goals and/or outcomes
The full Request for Proposal (RFP), with accompanying documents, are available for public download from the City of San Pablo’s Childhood Obesity Prevention Advisory Group web page (see below).
|ESTIMATED TIMELINE (Dates may be subject to change)|
|RFP issued||Monday, 3/30/2020 by 5 pm|
|Question Submission Period Ends||Tuesday, 4/14/2020 by 5 pm|
|Answers to Questions Posted||Thursday, 4/30/2020 by 5 pm|
|Proposals Due (email submission only)||Thursday, 5/7/2020 at 5 pm|
|Interviews (if needed)||Week of 5/11/2020|
|Proposals Recommended for Funding Presented to City Council||Month of June 2020|
|Contract Negotiations with Grantees||Month of June 2020|
|Contracts Period Begins||Month of July 2020|
All questions about the RFP must be submitted in writing to Jora Atienza Washington, Community Services Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. City staff will not answer questions via telephone or in person. The deadline to submit questions is Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 5:00 pm. To ensure applicants have access to both submitted questions and their answers, City staff will publish all received questions and answers by Thursday, April 30, 2020, at 5:00 pm on this web page.
All applications are due by email to email@example.com by Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 5:00 pm. Postmarked and walk-in applications are not accepted.
Background: Childhood Obesity Prevention Advisory Group (COPAG)
On July 2, 2018, City Council adopted Resolution #2018-100, transforming the existing Childhood Obesity Prevention Task Force (COPTF) into a new 5-member Childhood Obesity Prevention Advisory Group (COPAG) to coincide with the adoption of a new RFP/RFQ process authorized by previous City Council action. The Advisory Group was established by City Council Resolution under the following general guidelines:
- Purpose/Role: Assist City staff with annual RFQ/RFP process, contract and program administration with childhood obesity prevention contract services, and to make appropriate recommendations in collaboration with City staff to the City Council for contract award; meet periodically to share information on the City’s city-wide childhood obesity prevention activities, contract services, programs and services on a periodic as-needed basis.
- Composition: five total members: three appointed from the former COPTF-affiliated organizations; and two members from the community/general public previously affiliated with former COPTF membership. All community/general public appointments must meet a San Pablo residency requirement.
- Meeting Frequency: Quarterly meetings with other meetings as needed, due to operational and program administration requirements.
- Term: 1- and 2-year staggered terms: 1-year term for community/general public appointments, and 2-year term for community organizations. Initially, all Advisory Group appointments will be recommended by current COPTF representatives prior to official transformation, with official appointments approved by formal City Council action. All subsequent appointments are subject to City Council appointment only. For the initial term(s), City Council appointments would likely occur September 2018 and run through June 30, 2019 for 1-year term appointments, and from September 2018 through June 30, 2020 for 2-year term appointments.
- Application: A formal application for the Advisory Group must be completed for formal consideration and for annual or bi-annual renewal of Advisory Group members (see attachment).
- Department/Staff Liaison: Community Services Department/Youth, School, & Community Partnerships Division staff for contract and program administration. Staffing support services may be revised to meet City budget or operational requirements as determined by the City Manager.
- Ralph M. Brown Act: The Advisory Group would be subject to public noticing and open meeting requirements under Ralph M. Brown Act.