Childhood Obesity Prevention Advisory Group (COPAG)
FY2020/21 SAN PABLO CHILDHOOD OBESITY PREVENTION GRANT PROGRAM
(Suspended until further notice)
We are all facing unprecedented times and are operating in an environment of uncertainty and evolving needs. Responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, the San Pablo City Council declared a Local Emergency and launched modified city operations, effective March 16, 2020. The local emergency declaration enabled the activation of the City’s Emergency Operations Center and transformed City Operations to an “essential services” mode of operation with closure of non-essential City facilities and limited public services.
During the San Pablo City Council meeting on April 20, 2020, City Council passed Resolution 2020-045, which rescinded the FY 2020/21 San Pablo Childhood Obesity Prevention Grant Program Request for Proposals that was approved and released in March 2020. We are temporarily suspending the published timeline due to the unforeseen impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic until further notice. Resolution 2020-045 directs staff to return to City Council with a recommendation on a modified Childhood Obesity Prevention Grant Program sometime in FY 2020/21 and will update the community of forthcoming developments.
Background: Childhood Obesity Prevention Advisory Group (COPAG)
On July 2, 2018, City Council adopted Resolution #2018-100, transforming the existing Childhood Obesity Prevention Task Force (COPTF) into a new 5-member Childhood Obesity Prevention Advisory Group (COPAG) to coincide with the adoption of a new RFP/RFQ process authorized by previous City Council action. The Advisory Group was established by City Council Resolution under the following general guidelines:
- Purpose/Role: Assist City staff with annual RFQ/RFP process, contract and program administration with childhood obesity prevention contract services, and to make appropriate recommendations in collaboration with City staff to the City Council for contract award; meet periodically to share information on the City’s city-wide childhood obesity prevention activities, contract services, programs and services on a periodic as-needed basis.
- Composition: five total members: three appointed from the former COPTF-affiliated organizations; and two members from the community/general public previously affiliated with former COPTF membership. All community/general public appointments must meet a San Pablo residency requirement.
- Meeting Frequency: Quarterly meetings with other meetings as needed, due to operational and program administration requirements.
- Term: 1- and 2-year staggered terms: 1-year term for community/general public appointments, and 2-year term for community organizations. Initially, all Advisory Group appointments will be recommended by current COPTF representatives prior to official transformation, with official appointments approved by formal City Council action. All subsequent appointments are subject to City Council appointment only. For the initial term(s), City Council appointments would likely occur September 2018 and run through June 30, 2019 for 1-year term appointments, and from September 2018 through June 30, 2020 for 2-year term appointments.
- Application: A formal application for the Advisory Group must be completed for formal consideration and for annual or bi-annual renewal of Advisory Group members (see attachment).
- Department/Staff Liaison: Community Services Department/Youth, School, & Community Partnerships Division staff for contract and program administration. Staffing support services may be revised to meet City budget or operational requirements as determined by the City Manager.
- Ralph M. Brown Act: The Advisory Group would be subject to public noticing and open meeting requirements under Ralph M. Brown Act.
Current & Previous Grant Recipients: