Building Services

Holiday Closure: 

City Hall will be closed Dec. 22, 2022 - Jan. 2, 2023, reopening January 3, 2023.

The Building Division is responsible for issuing building permits and providing detailed inspections of electrical, mechanical, and plumbing projects. Building Inspection also investigates and responds to all citizen complaints concerning construction or safety issues of structures throughout the city. 

For more information:

Para obtener más información: 



News from the Building Official

   **2022 California Building Codes will be in effect 1/1/2023 for significant changes click here **

  • Development East of I-80:  A Geo-tech report on all development (such as construction, grading, and tree removal) east of I-80 is required due to the soil type close proximity to an active fault and a greater potential for a landslide (2016 CBC 107.1).  The Geo-tech report is in addition to the required soils report.

Permit Center

Most construction, remodeling and repairs require building permits as well as most electrical, mechanical and plumbing installations, repairs and replacements. Before applying for a permit, please review the Owner Builder Information / Spanish translation


  1. Verify your address is within City of San Pablo (Click for City Limit Map) If you live outside the City limits contact Contra Costa County.
  2. Prepare required application forms 
  3. Prepare plans (if required for the project). Maximum plan size for construction documents cannot exceed 24-inches by 36-inches.
  4. Verify if additional approvals are required from outside agencies. Please click here for a list of the outside agencies' contact information.
  5. Submit application forms, payment, plans (if required) and approval stamps from outside agencies (if required).
  6. To review Public Works information Click here 
  7. Contact staff if you have additional questions or call 510-215-3030.
  • Electronic submission is preferred
    Required steps before electronic submission: 
    Complete steps 1-5 above, be sure to include response letters with all resubmittals
    b. Submit 
    the Credit Card Authorization Form
    c. Submit all required documents through this weblink 
  • Public Counter is open Monday - Thursday 7:30am - 4:00pm

Issued Permits

Finaled Permits



We will be conducting Building Inspections Mondays - Thursdays. Call 510-215-3030 to schedule an inspection. 

Estaremos haciendo inspecciones de edificios lunes a jueves, llame al 510-215-3030 para programar una inspección.

All Information and Forms






  **Contractor: Copy of the fully executed contract between Vendor and Customer is required for permit issuance**

Information for Contractors and Homeowners:

As a contractor, to pull a permit in the City of San Pablo you will need to provide a complete scope of work and value of the job signed by the contractor and property owner/customer. You will be required to provide your contractors pocket card or written authorization from the card holder and a copy of their valid drivers’ license or identification (for signature validation) and valid identification or license for the person pulling the permits. 

As a homeowner, you will need to bring a valid drivers’ license or identification, and you must be listed on the title/deed of the property or you will need a letter of authorization from the property owner, a copy of the property owners drivers license (for signature validation) valid identification or license for the person pulling the permits. 

Plancheck and plans may be required depending on the scope of work. Call the Building Division at (510) 215-3030 to verify if plans will be required. 

  1. Oscar-Davalos

    Oscar Davalos

    Chief Building Official