Permits and Building Inspection
Following the declarations of emergency by the Federal, State and County governments, the City of San Pablo City Council proclaimed the existence of a local emergency due to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) on March 16, 2020. https://www.sanpabloca.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=596 Also on March 16, 2020, the Contra Costa Health Services, along with 6 other Bay Area Counties and the City of Berkeley, issued an order directing non-essential individuals to stay in their residences and limiting travel and activities. Accordingly, the City of San Pablo adopted a Modified Operations Plan with limited staff focused primarily on public health and safety. As a result, there will be delays in meeting deadlines, including those under the Permit Streamlining Act and other state and federal regulations, for the duration of this emergency. The City considers such deadlines tolled during the period while nonessential personnel are required to shelter in place. Your understanding is appreciated. For more information about how to stay safe during this emergency, links to resources can be found here https://www.sanpabloca.gov/2676/CORONAVIRUS-COVID-19-INFORMATION .
As of June 30, 2020, City Hall still remains closed to the general public. We will be conducting Building Inspections on Tuesdays and Thursdays, call 510-215-3030 to schedule an inspection. We are accepting plans electronically or plans can be dropped off M-TH from 10:00am - 3:00pm, call 510-215-3030 to coordinate plan drop off. For building related questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reviewing plans prior to construction and legalization (Maximum plan size for construction documents shall not exceed 24-inches by 36-inches)
- Issuing building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits
- Performing field inspections for the Community of San Pablo
FOR ALL DEVELOPMENT EAST OF I-80:
4/26/17 NOTICE FROM BUILDING OFFICIAL: Due to the soils type, close proximity to an active fault, and a greater potential for a landslide, the City of San Pablo will require a Geo-tech report on all development east of I-80. (2016 CBC 107.1) The Geo-tech report is in addition to the required soils report. Development includes building construction, grading, and tree removal, to name a few.
View Building Master Fee Schedule
West Contra Costa Unified School District Developer Fee Increase
Simple building permits may now be processed by fax or email by sending a copy of the scope of work and the contract to the attention of the city's Permit Technician. It is essential that you review our permit requirements prior to submittal. If you have any questions, please call (510) 215-3030.
FORMS AND INFORMATION:
**2019 Version of Building Codes will be effective January 1, 2020**
- Significant Changes for the 2019 Residential Building Code (effective Jan. 1, 2020)
- Permit Application with Construction and Demolition Information (Building, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing)
- Construction & Demolition Debris Recycling Form / Reciclaje de Escombros de Construcción y Demolición
- Demolition Packet
- Owner Builder Declaration
- Owner Builder Information / Spanish translation
- Credit Card Authorization Payment Form
- Building Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Spanish translation
- Single Family Dwelling Addition/Alteration Information Sheet
- Legalizing Unpermitted Construction
- Residential Kitchen Remodel Requirements
- Window Replacements / Spanish translation
- Window Flashing Requirements
- 2016 CAL GREEN Residential Mandatory Measures Checklist
- 2016 CAL GREEN Non-Residential Mandatory Measures Checklist
- Tenant Improvements & Commercial Buildings New/Additions/Alterations
- Inspections during inclement weather
- Minimum Meter Clearance Requirements PG&E 2016 Green Manual
- Mold - Tips on Prevention and Control
- Water Service Metering Requirements for New Residential or Mixed-Use Commercial and Residential Multi-Unit Structures
- Self-Certification for Compliance of Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Alarms / Spanish translation
- Residential Examples of Locations for Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarms - Information Sheet
- Special Inspection and Testing Agreement
- Recognized Special Inspection & Testing Agencies
- ADA Handouts Translated in 6 Different Languages
- Solar PV Residential Permit Submittal Checklist - effective date 10/21/2015
- Expedited Photovoltaic (PV Permits)
- Fire District Solar-Photovoltaic Notification Form - Fire District
PUBLIC WORKS PERMITS:
Information for Contractors and Homeowners:
As a contractor, to pull a permit in the City of San Pablo you will need to provide a complete scope of work and value of the job signed by the contractor and property owner/customer. You will be required to provide your contractors pocket card or written authorization from the card holder and a copy of their valid drivers’ license or identification (for signature validation) and valid identification or license for the person pulling the permits.
As a homeowner, you will need to bring a valid drivers’ license or identification, and you must be listed on the title/deed of the property or you will need a letter of authorization from the property owner, a copy of the property owners drivers license (for signature validation) valid identification or license for the person pulling the permits.
Plancheck and plans may be required depending on the scope of work. Call the building division at (510) 215-3030 to verify if plans will be required.