Permits and Building Inspection

Following the declarations of emergency by the Federal, State and County governments, the City of San Pablo City Council proclaimed the existence of a local emergency due to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) on March 16, 2020.  Also on March 16, 2020, the Contra Costa Health Services, along with 6 other Bay Area Counties and the City of Berkeley, issued an order directing non-essential individuals to stay in their residences and limiting travel and activities.  Accordingly, the City of San Pablo adopted a Modified Operations Plan with limited staff focused primarily on public health and safety.  For more information about how to stay safe during this emergency, links to resources can be found here 

As of October 1, 2020, City Hall still remains closed to the general public.  We will be conducting Building Inspections Tuesdays  - Thursdays, call 510-215-3030 to schedule an inspection.  For building related questions please email
Plans can be dropped off M-TH from 10:00am - 3:00pm, call 510-215-3030 to coordinate plan drop off

We are also accepting plans electronically. For more information and to receive a link to our drop box please call us at 510-215-3030 or email us at Please do not
send us plans via email, a complete application is required.  Upon completion of the application, we will send you a link with instructions on how to upload the documents.  T
he documents will then be screened for completeness and if deemed suitable, a credit card authorization form will be provided. As soon as payment has been received, the plans will be routed for plan check to Building, Planning and Public Works as applicable.

A partir del 1 de octubre de 2020, el Ayuntamiento permanece cerrado al público en general.  Estaremos haciendo inspecciones de edificios los martes -  jueves, llame al 510-215-3030 para programar una inspección. Se pueden ir a dejar de Lunes - Jueves de 10:00am - 3:00pm, llame al 510-215-3030 para coordinar la entrega de planos Para obtener más información, envíe un correo electrónico a o llame al 510-215-3030. 

También aceptamos planos de forma electrónica. Para obtener más información y recibir un enlace a nuestro buzón, llámenos al 510-215-3030 o envíenos un correo electrónico a  No nos envíe planos por correo electrónico, se requiere una solicitud completa. Una vez completada la solicitud, le enviaremos un enlace con instrucciones sobre cómo enviar los documentos al buzón. Luego, los documentos se revisarán para verificar que estén completos y, si se considera adecuado, se proporcionará un formulario de autorización de tarjeta de crédito. Tan pronto como se haya recibido el pago, los planos se enviarán para su verificación a Construcción, Planificación y Obras Públicas, según corresponda.

 The Building Department is responsible for:

  • Reviewing plans prior to construction and legalization (Maximum plan size for construction documents shall not exceed 24-inches by 36-inches)
  • Issuing building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits
  • Performing field inspections for the Community of San Pablo
While providing the issue of building permits and detailed inspections of electrical, mechanical, and plumbing projects, Building Inspection also investigates and responds to all citizen complaints concerning construction or safety issues of structures throughout the city.


4/26/17 NOTICE FROM BUILDING OFFICIAL:  Due to the soils type, close proximity to an active fault, and a greater potential for a landslide, the City of San Pablo will require a Geo-tech report on all development east of I-80. (2016 CBC 107.1)  The Geo-tech report is in addition to the required soils report.  Development includes building construction, grading, and tree removal, to name a few.


View Building Master Fee Schedule
Updated 7/1/2016   **New Fees Effective January 1, 2021**

New STMP (Development Fees) Effective July 1, 2019 

West Contra Costa Unified School District Developer Fee Increase

Simple building permits may now be processed by fax or email by sending a copy of the scope of work and the contract to the attention of the city's Permit Technician. It is essential that you review our permit requirements prior to submittal. If you have any questions, please call (510) 215-3030.



  **Contractor: Copy of the fully executed contract between Vendor and Customer is required for permit issuance**



Information for Contractors and Homeowners


As a contractor, to pull a permit in the City of San Pablo you will need to provide a complete scope of work and value of the job signed by the contractor and property owner/customer. You will be required to provide your contractors pocket card or written authorization from the card holder and a copy of their valid drivers’ license or identification (for signature validation) and valid identification or license for the person pulling the permits.
As a homeowner, you will need to bring a valid drivers’ license or identification, and you must be listed on the title/deed of the property or you will need a letter of authorization from the property owner, a copy of the property owners drivers license (for signature validation) valid identification or license for the person pulling the permits.

Plancheck and plans may be required depending on the scope of work. Call the building division at (510) 215-3030 to verify if plans will be required.