El Portal Drive Urban Greening
The El Portal Drive Urban Greening Project is a state and locally funded multi-benefit project to incorporate stormwater facilities, urban greening, and new bike lanes on the segment of El Portal Drive between Church Lane and Fordham Street.
Image 1: Concept design for the proposed changes to El Portal Drive, between Church Lane and Fordham Street.
Key Project Elements
The project will include the following key elements:
- A linear bioretention facility to capture and clean a portion of the stormwater that falls on the southern section of El Portal Drive, between Church Lane and Fordham Street.
- A Class IV bike lane on the southern, eastbound side of El Portal Drive, which will be separated and protected from the roadway by the bioretention facility and other physical safety barriers.
- A Class II bike lane on the northern, westbound side of El Portal Drive, which will consist of striping and extra space between the bike lane and the roadway.
- Educational interpretive signage regarding the green infrastructure (bioretention) facilities.
- Design and Permitting: November 2017 – August 2018
- Public Meeting: April 17, 2018 at the San Pablo Public Library, Wildcat Community Room
- Construction (estimated): Winter 2019/2020
- Project Manager: Ronalyn Nonato, Associate Engineer, City of San Pablo
- Project Design Team: Parisi CSW Design Group
- Project Construction Manager: TBD
- Project Construction Contractors: TBD
The total estimated cost of the El Portal Drive Urban Greening is $1 million.
The project has been made possible through the following funding sources:
- City funds: $160,000
- California Natural Resources Agency (CNRA)
- Urban Greening Grant Program: $562,597
- CNRA’s mission is to restore, protect and manage the state’s natural, historical and cultural resources for current and future generations using creative approaches and solutions based on science, collaboration and respect for all the communities and interests involved.
For more information about CNRA visit www.resources.ca.gov.